When feeding house guests or just the family, this French wife saver makes the morning after a big celebration a breeze. This recipe can be made two days in advance as long as the egg/milk mixture is ladled on the night before it is to be cooked. Croque Monsieur can be served warm for breakfast with maple syrup or ketchup or at lunch when cooled as a sandwich. Enjoy!
1 loaf of unsliced white French bread
1/2 cup of cream cheese
2 tablespoons of vegetable soup mix
6 ozs. thinly sliced turkey
6 ozs. sliced Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of tarragon
1/2 teaspoon of savory or sage
1. Cut bread into 3/4 inch slices.
2. Mix cream cheese with soup mix and spread over one side of each slice of bread.
3. Grease 9×13 pan with butter.
4. Line bottom with one layer of bread, cream cheese side up.
5. On top of bread layer turkey slices, swiss cheese slices then another layer of bread with cream cheese side down.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and spices.
7. Slowly ladle mixture over bread.
8. Cover and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
9. In the morning, remove cover and bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes.
The trick to making this dish sensational is thoroughly soaking the top layer of bread with the egg/milk mixture. As the dish sits overnight, the egg/milk mixture will make its way down to the bottom layer of bread.